Monday, February 20, 2012

Dis what's up.

Things seem to be going well with this hobby I'm obsessed about.  Here's what's up.

I'm come a long way in being more aggressive, but I need to do more.  Of course, I'm not talking about being a bully or jerk.  I just need to go in for the kill a bit more and stop being comfortable in bad spots.  My last tournament (which I've kinda put off talking about) was a bad display of passivity.  I was nervous standing up, so I tried to take the match down.  I ended up in bad spots and stayed there til I did something dumb (or the other guy did something good).  I went 0-2, and it didn't take much time, either.  Thank you very much for showing up.  Dumb me.  :(  


Since then, things are better; I say reservedly.  I'm still not a natural born killer; I probably still settle for bottom too much, but I'm aware of it and working on it. I'm starting more rolls from standing, and I've noticed that when I do so, I usually wind up in better positions.  Cool.

On a related note, I want to up the Judo practices and take the next step toward my next level.  I'm really only interested in Jiu Jitsu promotions, but I'll accept anything else along the way.  Spring and Summer 2012 will be a time of more focus on Judo while most of the world ignores it in the games.



A friend and I are walking through the Gracie Combatives course.  This is a pretty legit curriculum.  It's a good opportunity to cultivate love of Jiu Jitsu in someone who otherwise wouldn't be able to train.  Again, I'm only really interested in promotions at my home gym, but I'm game for whatever else is along the way. This surely isn't going to hurt me.  C'mon man, it's the Gracies!  We are a quarter of the way through it and enjoying the lessons and time together.


I recently attended a 10th Planet JJ seminar. What?  Don't hate.  Didn't you read the above!?  I would like to improve my nogi game, and I'm not turned off by Bravo's approach.  I signed up for his website, too, because dat's how 10 do.  And, it's really cheap.  ;)  I discovered a network of undergrounders who practice the 10th planet system, and they're close by.  I plan to pay them some visits off the grid.  My gym offers nogi classes, and I plan to step up my attendance of those and maybe even inquire about a private involving grappling with punches--small ones; very small.

The folks who hosted Bravo plan to have him back in a few months. We'll probably meet again.  

If I could just figure out a way to quit my job and double my income, I would be able to fund my mini fight quest.  Ohs well.  I'll just do the best I can.  By the way, I also want my daughter to stay steady with her BJJ. She's the future.

I love this stuff; that's what's up!


No comments:

Post a Comment